Saturday, January 19, 2013

Desserts in HK

You already know HK is known for its food. But, today... I will be talking about desserts because... who doesn't love desserts?!

Most of these places can be found in big shopping centers or really busy streets.

Hui Lau Shan (許留山) - This is probably the largest dessert chain store in HK. You will see it everywhere. If you're in Mongkok, you'll probably see it on every corner.

Store front

Drink menu... There's also a dessert menu. People usually order from this menu to go.

Drinks and desserts on display

I think this is H1 on the menu. Mango coconut juice with mini rice balls.

Not sure what this is... 
Mango + mango juice + mango ice cream + rice balls


This is not my favorite dessert shop. In fact, I've only had dessert/drinks from here about three times in my year of being in HK. I'm not 100% sure, but I think that the most popular items would be variations of their mango drinks.

I'm not crazy about it, but tons of other people are... so give it a try!

--

Honeymoon Desserts (滿記甜品) - This is my favorite chain. ^__^ Every Saturday, I'd have dinner with my uncle and then dessert here!

Store front
Dessert display

This is what I always get. Mango pomelo sago dessert soup (杨枝甘露) 
Ugh. I miss it so much. I haven't had really good mango pomelo sago dessert soup in LA. :( IT'S SO GOOD. Highly, highly, highly recommended.

--

Gong Cha (貢茶) - Okay, this isn't really a dessert place, but it's a chain boba/pearl milk tea/tea shop (similar to Ten Ren/Tapioca Express/Lollicup for those of you who know what those places are). I think it originated from Taiwan... but it has become super popular in HK.

Gong Cha is known for their house special drinks. It's a two layer drink. The base layer is brewed tea (green/black/whatever else they have) and the top layer is a special rich, creamy, salty-ish foam. I usually get it with green tea... because that's the closest thing to green milk tea after you mix it. I don't remember actually seeing "green milk tea" on the menu.

How to drink the house special drink: "1 Drink with your mouth directly! Feel the tea going through our specially made foam. 2. Use the straw to taste the original tea. 3 Mix the foam & tea. (from the Gong Cha website"

I usually mix it because... the cups are sealed... so you can't really drink it like you're drinking out of a cup unless you want to rip off the plastic top off. If you just drink the tea from the bottom, you'll eventually be left with really rich cream. It's VERY tasty... but I find it kind of weird to just sip on cream foam. If you want a super creamy milk tea, just drink some of the tea by itself (before you mix it)... then mix it when you think there's a good ratio of foam to tea. 

Also, the drinks are ONE size. Large. And if I'm correct most drinks are about $3USD. So cheap!

One thing though, I don't like their boba. Maybe I've been spoiled by really, really good boba in the San Gabriel Valley... I ordered boba from Gong Cha twice and never ordered it again. For some odd reason, it also killed my cravings for boba indefinitely. I disliked it so much that I got PTSD or something. I don't even order boba back home anymore. :(

Store front

There's almost always a line.

All drinks are this size...
Popular "house" drink
--

傅師傅甜品小食 (Fu Si Fu) - This is a mom and pop dessert shop located in (Tai Wai G/F NO.1.6 Street Tai Wai Village. Tai Wai, Sha Tin.). I went to this place with my friends after we had Indian food at my favorite restaurant in HK ever (another post for another day).

Random shop. I wasn't super impressed.

Store front
Menu
We shared everything... seriously not impressed.
--

飯後甜品 (fan hau teem baan) - This place serves my favorite dessert (see image below). FAVORITEEE!!! This is located in Tai Po (大埔運頭街93號C1地舖). You will want to stop at the Tai Po Market MTR stop. If you've been to the big complex in Tai Po Market with the wet market and cheap food vendors (one of my first posts about HK here)... you go toward that same direction. You eventually hit a spot where you have to go left or right. Left will take you to the big complex... Right will take you to this dessert shop. You will hit a few different dessert shops before you find this one. 

The funny thing is that this shop is literally next to another dessert shop called 心太軟 (saam tai yun). My Cantonese teacher said that shop is really popular... I've never been there because I can't not get my favorite dessert when I'm here, LOl.

Store front

Menu

Pictures of their desserts

Picture of their shaved ice/snowy. There's actually a lot of different flavors.


MY FAVORITE DESSERT. FAVORITE. FAVORITE. FAVORITE. I think it's just panna cotta with fruits--not sure though. I think it's called the 飄雪樂園 (peew seut lok yun).

Mano shaved ice/snowy

Go. Please go and try my favorite dessert. That's all I have to say.

--

明師傅甜品 (ming si fu) - This place is located in Tsuen Wan (荃灣海壩街87號荃好景大廈地下). Again, no English address. I don't really know how to explain how to get here, except that it's really close to Tseun Wan MTR station--not Tsuen Wan West... if you get off there, you'll have to walk a while, lol.

It's located on a big block with other dessert shops. I swear there's like 20 different dessert shops in that one block. I just don't know what it's called, but here's the approximate address (10-20 Tai Ho Road, Tsuen Wan, New Territories). That's the address of Bonjour. It's on a big street, so you should be able to spot it. You will see one there. In addition to the ten million dessert shops, there's also a Gong Cha and Hot Star (fried chicken place)... and a lot of street food vendors. Seriously, check this place out.

Coconut milk with sesame rice balls
I don't know if I've told you about my coconut obsession... but this thing is seriously delicious. I will try any coconut dessert once! This dessert is served hot, and it's the only dessert I've had from Ming Si Fu. Highly recommended!

--

鮮芋亭 (seen wu ting -Taro Kiosk) - This is located in Tseun Wan (荃灣荃興徑34號地下4號鋪... If you can find this place, you will have successfully found the big block of food places that I've been talking about!!!). It's next to Hot Star (fried chicken place)... and some tofu pudding place (that I don't really recommend).

This place originated from Taiwan. I really like taro, and I really like rice balls. This place had taro rice balls, so I had to try it, LOl. I'm not sure if I'm mixing this place up with another one, but I don't find the rice balls as chewy as I like(?). I still like this place though. I try to stop by when I'm in the area.

Store front
Menu
I think this is what I usually get, except it comes in a paper cup/bowl.
--

Ocio Waffle - Located in Mongkok (Shop D, G/F, Yan On Building, 1 Kwong Wa Street, Mong Kok). It's hard for me to describe where it is... so I can't provide that information. :(

As you can see, it's a waffle shop! It didn't blow me away, but if you want your waffle fix, give this place a try.







--

These are probably all the dessert/drink shops that I've been to that were worth mentioning. There are some other famous (local) dessert shops that I didn't go to because it's too out of my way. :s But, hey, I've been pretty happy with most of the desserts that I did get a chance to try. :)

Some of these shops may not have English speakers, so you might want to bring a Cantonese speaker with you. It would probably be best to explore some of these places with a HK friend, so you don't get lost.

Jenn

No comments:

Post a Comment