Sunday, September 9, 2012

Twenty Observations

1. It's really humid here (as expected).
2. I think it has rained every single day since I've arrived, but it would only be for a very short period of time. I bought an umbrella, but I have yet to use it.
3. Money is really confusing here. The exchange students that I've talked to tend to just pay with bills and keep the coins in their wallets (for now anyway). There are $10 (there's a $10 bill too, lol), $5, $2, $1, $0.50, $0.20, and $0.10 coins. Since we would take quite a bit of time identifying which coin is which, we just pay with bills. People here always seem to be in a rush, and we don't want to anger anyone by holding up the line while we count our coins.
4. People here drive on the left side of the road, while people drive on the right side of the road in the US. I have to take note of that when I cross the street. And, for extra security, I triple check each side of the road before I walk across.
5. Food is really cheap!!!
6. Most students agree that canteen food here is not that great.. at all.
7. This campus is way too big with way too many hills. I feel like I'm hiking every time I walk around campus. So... instead of walking. I wait for the bus, which is free! :D
8. Most exchange students are really friendly. You could generally strike up a conversation with them, and it wouldn't be awkward or anything. I have yet to interact with actual CUHK students.
9. The MTR (train) is really convenient.
10. I'm still a little confused about all the different buses here..
11. I live on the mountainous part of campus. I have mosquito bites all over my legs. I'm very upset, but I also anticipated this. :[
12. Within the CUHK are nine colleges. These colleges have their own dorms/hostels. Every student is assigned to a college, and they really represent their own colleges. In the US, we usually have like... College of Engineering or College of Letters and Sciences, which is totally separate from our dorms.
13. CUHK's freshmen orientation is really interesting. They separate all the freshmen by colleges, and they do a lot of activities with these fellow college mates during their time here. They also run around together in same color shirts. One college would have all blue shirts and another college would have all red shirts. Totally different from UCR's orientation, lol.
14. Freshmen here look extremely young.
15. College in HK used to be only three years. They have one more year of high school and one less year of college compared to the US. CUHK is changing to a four year program now, while other universities are still keeping the three year program.
16. The legal drinking age is 18 here.
17. There are tons of people everywhere at all times. On a Thursday afternoon, there would be a sea of people in the shopping centers. In the US, there would be very few. In fact, people tend to go out on the weekdays to avoid crowds. In HK, there is no such thing as avoiding crowds.
18. Wifi is pretty stable here. I heard that wifi connection isn't very good here... but it's been fine for me thus far.
19. There's a Maxim Bakery on every street, seriously. There are always people buying things from bakeries too. I always see a line of people!
20. CUHK is full of surprises (at least for now). I randomly discovered the place below while trying to figure out how to get back to my hostel. There are also tons of shortcuts that will save you ten minutes of walking if you're able to find them. It involves taking the elevator up and down certain buildings, which means that you won't have to walk up and down certain hills. ;D I got this tip from an alumni. lOL.


No comments:

Post a Comment