Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Exploring Shatin Again / Moon Cakes

I took my Chinese placement test and got placed in level 4 Cantonese and level 3 Mandarin. I just realized that my Cantonese class has a limit of 9 people, and there are currently only 3 enrolled. LOL. I'm kind of intimidated by that. This is going to be quite interesting.

I went back to the Shatin New Town Plaza by myself because I wanted to do a little bit of exploring on my own. I also needed to buy a few more things, and I wanted to go to IKEA. It took me an hour to find the supermarket (City'super). Then, I used Google Maps on my smartphone to look for IKEA. From what I could tell, it was outside of the plaza but not super far away... so I thought I could do this on my own. I walked in circles for an hour or two before I gave up and went back to CUHK, lol!

Oh! I tried something called a snowy moon cake (冰皮月餅). It looks something like this...




And a regular moon cake looks something like this...


It's pretty cool. I heard about it in the US. I think I might have tried it once before, but I don't remember. It's almost Mid-Autumn Festival (中秋節), so there are moon cakes everywhere! The snowy moon cake is just like a mochi with a slightly tougher skin and more filling. lOL. I thought it would be amazing because I always heard good things about it. I mean.. it was good but not super delicious or anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment